Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dr. Bloodmoney and Fallout

As I mentioned on the discussion board, I kept thinking of the Fallout games while I was reading Dr. Bloodmoney. While I mentioned in particular Fallout New Vegas, I actually had fonder memories of Fallout 3 (which is set in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. instead of New Vegas' more applicable California and Las Vegas setting).

In both Bloodmoney and the Fallout games, government plays a secondary role as people are trying to survive locally rather than worry about the country. It only makes sense, as a post-apocalypse life adjustment would only bring humans back to their basic survival skills of forming small alliances if it serves your own survival. Everyone is competing for a limited number of resources, so one can understand why the Keller clan would turn to murder someone if that someone was trying to compromise them by exposing one of their own.

However, unlike in the Fallout games, there seems to be a conspicuous absence of guns and other weaponry. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I suppose adding guns to the story can take away some of the story's focus on survival and the relationships between each character.

2 comments:

  1. I like the perspective you have regarding the post-war community organization. Yes, PKD's books do not seem to have weapons in them, except for the nuclear bombs. I suppose I can imagine that if a destruction of that magnitude did happen, it would be easier to survive in smaller individual communities; as hunters/gatherers, at least initially, until some sort of bigger government could be established.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan-

    I enjoy your thoughts about the post-war community organization. I think that he portrays that weapons are important to give the government the upper hand within the novels; however, Bloodmoney did have guns within the novel. When Mr. Tree went to the survive camps the army had guns. I thought you had an excellent point of view!
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete